Staying Healthy During a Pandemic
Randy Gibson LAc, MA, MS
9 Corners Functional Medicine Center/ Club 9 Cryo Lounge
During this time where we need to be at our best in all aspects of our health, we are constantly being told what to do and what not to do. This can be stressful, confusing, and very frustrating. I want to give you the basic preventative steps that you may not have heard before, and they are all backed by science, practicality, and simplicity. These nine practices will give you holistic support for your immune health and how to not be a good viral host!
1. Aerobic exercise daily for at least 20-40 minutes at a moderate intensity. You want to work hard enough to encourage your body to sweat. Bringing the heart rate up and taking deep breaths strengthens the heart and lungs.
2. Hydrate with warm liquids first thing in the morning. Try to consume 16 oz. of warm water to engage the lymphatic system to start your detoxification process and to moisturize your lungs.
3. Take time throughout the day to focus on your breathing. Longer exhales to inhales from the lower abdomen, with the intention to calm and relax will help lower your stress hormones. This allows your rest and digest nervous system to kick in, which allows you to absorb the foods you eat for greater microbiome health. The foundation of the immune system.
4. Eat less processed food, simple sugars, and carbohydrates. Viruses love sugar, so the less you eat and the lower your circulating blood sugar the less likely you will be a good host.
5. Get your sleep. On average you need 7-8 hours of quality sleep. Start turning off the blue and white light as the sun goes down. Allow yourself to be in a natural circadian rhythm with the sun. This will boost your melatonin, allowing more deep sleep.
6. Get sunshine during the day. In between 10-2 is the best time for exposure to UVB light. Your skin needs to be exposed as much as possible for 20 minutes to accept the suns UVB to convert D3 in your body for immune health.
7. Go to the extremes with hot and cold. This can be for short periods of time and the benefit is the release of proteins that are anti-inflammatory and immune enhancing. A good example of this is Whole Body Cryotherapy and Full Spectrum Infrared Saunas.
8. Eat more plant based Mediterranean nutrition. It’s been shown to be the most anti-inflammatory nutritional lifestyle. In conjunction with the nutrients add in time restricted eating. Try to go 12-16 hours each day without eating. This allows for a daily detox.
9. Supplement with these nutrients daily: Andrographis, Astragalus, D3, Magnesium Glycinate, Probiotics, Cordyceps, and Rheisi, ALA, DHA, EPA oils. They all support immune health.