Every Friday we put together a list of the weekend events we think look most interesting and provide them here. Keep in mind there is always a lot more going on, and all it takes is a little digging to find something that will be the perfect activity for you.
Click on any of the event titles for a link to the event.
Friday, September 25
Pier 48, San Francisco
5 PM, Ages: 21+
Celebrating in the true tradition of Munich’s famed festival,Oktoberfest by the Bay will include nonstop music, singing, dancing and the very best in German food and drink.
Headlining our stage will be the world renowned, 21-piece Chico Bavarian Band!
FRIDAY SEPT. 25: 5pm-12am SATURDAY SEPT 26: DAY 11am-5pm | NIGHT 6pm-12am SUNDAY SEPT 27: 11am-6pm
All ticket sales are final. NO REFUNDS OR EXCHANGES!
Click here for a full event FAQ.
Al registrations are PDF e-tickets delivered by email. Once you register, you will receive an order confirmation email from Eventbrite on behalf of the Oktoberfest By The Bay. Your e-ticket(s) will be attached to your order confirmation email. Make sure to print them out and bring them to the event. IMPORTANT: If you do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, make sure to check your junk/spam folder.
If you still do not see your order confirmation in your inbox, click here to access the Eventbrite help center.
Need to change the name(s) on your order? Click here for instructions.
Mechanics’ Institute Library & Chess Room, San Francisco
6 PM, All Ages
To write well, one must live and grow. Join the writing community of the Mechanics’ Institute at this spirited event where eight Institute authors present their new work and discuss the growth experienced along their writer’s journey. Learn valuable lessons about editing, choosing a book cover image, how to complete a draft while having a life, and how to really read a poem. If you are interested in the independent/self publishing process or just want to learn from others experience this is the event for you!
Saturday, September 26
USS Hornet, Alameda
10 AM, All Ages
Join us for an amazing convention experience on board the USS Hornet Museum! Badges are limited so purchase early to guarantee admission!
At the request of Board of Trustees of the USS Hornet Museum, out of respect to the men and women who served on board the USS Hornet, and due to concerns about safety while on board there will be additional rules regarding our cosplay/dress code policy. We know our attendees have been respectful but we need to stress the importance of the following rules which will be enforced before entrance to the event is granted. USS Hornet staff will have the final word regarding any rules enforcement.
1. All functioning bags (regardless if part of a cosplay or not) must meet bag size restrictions of 12”x8”x12”. A bag check area will be provided outside of the USS Hornet Museum for Kraken Con attendees.
2. All props must be under 6’4” in height and 48” in width. Non-functioning bags (cannot be opened or used to store items) are considered props and must meet these requirements as well. Exceptions may be made for modular props which can be taken apart and put back together.
3. Shoes must be worn at all times. Comfortable shoes are recommended as staircases can be steep and the ship is large, requiring a lot of walking.
4. Undergarments of any kind (bras, panties, boxers, etc) should not be visible.
5. Skirts/shorts should completely cover the derriere.
6. Tops should not be so low cut as to reveal undergarments or excessive décolletage.
7. Bare midriff is allowed as long as the rest of the outfit conforms to all other listed requirements.
8. Topless or open shirt cosplay is not permissible.
9. Cosplay involving one-piece Japanese bathing suits (Sukumizu) may be worn under other clothing and revealed for photos only within Kraken Con badged enforced areas.
10. While military uniforms and costumes inspired by the military – both the US and abroad – are welcomed, please refrain from wearing swastikas or other Nazi party regalia.
1. Functional weapons are not allowed. Weapon props created out of plastic, cardboard, foam or other such materials are permissible provided they are not too realistic in appearance. Airsoft guns (even if non functional), replica guns, swords with metal and other weapons that have metal components are not allowed. Please note all props must conform to the aforementioned height/width dimensions.
2. Markers and painting materials are strictly prohibited. Vandalism or defacement of any nature is subject to prosecution.
Children under the age of 13 must be accompanied by an adult. Children 6 and under do not need to purchase admission but must be accompanied by an adult at all times.
Policies are subject to change. Please visit http://www.krakencon.com/info/policies/ for complete policy information.
Due to the historic nature of the ship, wheelchair and stroller accessibility is extremely limited. To enter the ship you must be able to walk up a flight of stairs. Most doorways have thresholds and to visit various areas (CPO Mess and Flight Deck) steep ladders or stairs must be traversed.
There are no ATMS located on or near the ship.
FOOD & DRINK
There are vending machines on board the ship as well as concession stand(s)/food trucks outside.
There is plenty of free parking located across from the pier.
The nearest BART station is located at 12th Street, Oakland City Center. We will be providing a courtesy shuttle from the BART station to the USS Hornet.
There are no refunds or exchanges for Kraken Con tickets purchased online. All sales are final.
Is what I purchased on Eventbrite my ticket? All tickets are e-tickets – you will exchange this ticket for a badge/wristband at Registration, located on the dock outside of the Hornet. You should receive your ticket as well as confirmation via the email address you input during the checkout process. Be sure to check your junk/spam folder if you do not receive an email from Eventbrite after purchase. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need further assistance.
Do I need to print out my ticket(s)? Yes, please print your ticket(s) to expedite the registration process.
What if I purchased multiple tickets and they all have my name? This is not a problem – tickets are transferrable. Just be sure that everyone in your party has their own printed out ticket. You can also update the name on your ticket(s) through Eventbrite here.
Muir Wood, Mill Valley
All Day, All Ages